The term Mergers &
Acquisitions refers to combining or merging of two or more business
enterprises to form one single company. It is a part of a company's
strategy for expanding and strengthening its operations. The process
undertaken is usually beneficial to both the companies that are merging
or if a bigger company is acquiring a smaller company.
Merger & Acquisition is a corporate finance strategy of a company
and is a comprehensive process requiring the need of professional
lawyers and chartered accountants to understand the financial and legal
Types of Mergers
- Horizontal mergers: A situation when two or more merging
companies manufacture similar product in the same industry.
- Vertical mergers: A situation when two or more merging
companies work at different stages of manufacture of a same product.
- Conglomerate mergers: A situation when two or more
merging companies operate in different industries.
Accounting professionals help a company during M&A and have the
necessary expertise to analyze whether the company is entering the right
deal, whether the company can afford the acquisition, avenues for future
Accounting firms provide comprehensive services in every stage of the
process right from identification of potential acquisition to
negotiations, financial implications, cost of merger and forecasting the
future potential etc. These firms also provide the following services:
- Review of a company's goals and objectives
- Due diligence service
- Preparation of financial forecasts
- Advice on potential threats and rewards involved in a merger/
- Complete assistance in purchase negotiations
- Advice on financing and tax planning